Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Country mouse, city mouse

The other day I had a dream that I was trapped inside a giant McDonald's because the exit was up a huge flight of stairs and I had a stroller and couldn't find the elevator! Truly frustrating. I was extremely happy to wake up and realize it was just a dream.

It wasn't till I had a baby that I realized how "un-baby friendly" this world really is. I had a real life experience of this dream once when I tried to go shopping at Macy's in New York City. I walked the entire length of the store trying to find the elevators. I could see the Starbucks on the second floor, and all the baby-free people coming down on the escalator happily sipping their ice mocha's. By the time I finally found the elevators there was a long line of people waiting, and I was so tired that I just gave up.

I don't know how people have babies in the city. I'm sure there are a myriad of secrets that these women who do raise children in the city know that I don't, but it just seems overwhelming to me. My husband works in the city, and I spend most of the weekend there. We often talk about possibly moving there. But even though the commuting situation might improve (I say MIGHT, because we already live 20 min. from Manhattan and chances are anywhere we lived in NYC would be at least the same distance...just by train instead of bus), I just can't see myself having kids there. Maybe if I was single, or even married without kids. I just don't see it as a place I would want to raise my family. Not that there is anything wrong with raising a family in the city, I know lots of people do it. For me it's...you know...a nice place to visit. I grew up in the country, so my idea of childhood is trees, and grass, and a back yard with a swing set.

Miles loves being outside. He crawls around in the grass and watches the kids across the street ride their bikes and play soccer. He watches the birds and tries to chase after the dog. I think kids are meant to be in nature. They are enchanted by animals, plants, the clouds in the sky. There is so much to discover, and that's what a child's world is all about. Just this morning, my husband took Miles for a walk outside and he was laughing and smiling at the rain.

I remember teaching in Paterson NJ, and there would be kids who had grown up in the city who were literally scared of nature. My family was always big on camping so I would think, "what a shame!". There are so many things kids miss out on by not experiencing nature. Even just the physical benefits of playing outside instead of sitting in front of a tv, not to mention the spiritual. I've always felt close to God in nature, and even if you are not religious, there is something peaceful about feeling connected to the world around you. I think there is actual scientific evidence about the stress levels of people who live in the country rather than the city. Maybe I'm making that up...but it makes sense. There is something to be said for a slower pace of life. And when you have kids, any chance to stop and relax or even just look out the window to a beautiful view, is a blessing.

1 comment: