Thursday, October 31, 2013

The Joy of Giving

For the last two years in NJ, Halloween has been officially cancelled. Last year, Super Storm Sandy struck and ruined it. The year before that we had a freak snow storm that froze all the trees, causing them to fall or break off branches on top of roofs or power lines. Everyone was told to stay home while the streets were unsafe.

While it's fun to see the kids all dressed up in their costumes for Halloween, I'm less enthused about that big bag of candy I'm going to have to hide and ration out so that my kids don't end up in a sugar induced comma/craze.

Last year, after the storm, all the towns kept pushing back the day for trick-or-treating, so that it was almost impossible to keep up and be sure. It was well into the first week of November already when I happened to be at my friends house with the kids, and we saw some other children with costumes on going around the neighborhood. We borrowed some dress up stuff, got the kids ready, and spontaneously joined in the fun. The kids were so excited, no surprise. What did surprise me though, was how excited the adults were to give out candy!



Many of them had huge bowls full of candy since all of the confusion with the storm. Sure, they probably don't want all that candy sitting around their house, but they seemed equally excited to see all the children dressed up, to be apart of the tradition and making all these kids happy.

So many people commented how they missed Halloween the year before, some didn't know it was trick-or-treat day and were pleasantly surprised to answer the door to batman and strawberry shortcake. They seemed so happy and grateful, giving away their candy, the smiling children their reward.

I don't know, I guess it's kind of obvious, but I never thought of it before until I saw it from the other side. We all live vicariously through our children, take joy in their happiness and experiences. This year, we get to go trick-or-treating ON Halloween, and I feel like I'm doing it for the benefit of my neighbors as much as my kids.

Happy Halloween, stay safe everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment