Monday, December 9, 2013

Children's books that don't drive Mom crazy: Jamberry

It's no surprise that we are book people here. Before I became a mom, I thought that reading with my kids was all cuddling and Dr. Seuss ryhmes. Little did I know that I would be reading, "Elmo's Birthday Surprise" NINE times in a row. I love reading, I love that my kids love reading with me, but one thing I've learned about children's books: there is an elite group of books among the million that actually entertain the parents (or at least don't drive us crazy), and stand up to the multiple read test. These books are the ones that stand the test of time, and what every children's book should aspire to be.


Jamberry
Story and Illustration by Bruce Degen
harperCollins, 1983 (this book is as old as I am!)


We first discovered this book at the library and it quickly became part of our regular rotation. We now own TWO copies, one in large hardcover and the other as a small board book.

This is a wonderful book with imaginative illustrations, and bouncy verse. These days, the majority of picture books tend to be in prose, partly because publishers discourage and are often not interested in "rhyming" books. The logic goes, unless you are Dr. Seuss or Maurice Sendak, then "do NOT try this at home". It's not so much that it's difficult to write a book in rhyme, but it is certainly a challenge to write one well.

I love a good rhyming book, and so do my kids, so when I find one it's like a precious gem. Rhyming gives it that "sing-song" quality that lends to many reads, and it also helps the kids (and me) to remember it. My oldest can actually recite some pages by memory.

Here is one of my favorite passages:

"Rumble and ramble
In blackberry bramble
Billions of berries
For blackberry jamble"

I mean, have you ever heard alliteration this b-eautiful? and "jamble" how deliciously cute.

This book is also all about FUN. There are no heavy handed moral lessons at the end, no counting or alphabet letters. Just an exciting romp through the woods to pick berries with a boy and a bear.

It's funny, creative, and cute. The illustrations will never get boring either. Look closely at the pages and you'll find some juicy details: marshmallow reeds, trees made out of toast, and jelly-roll flowers, to name just a few.
                     
It probably helps that this book evokes memories of berry picking out in the woods on the Fourth of July when I was a kid, but even if you didn't have such a rustic childhood I think you'll still enjoy this delightful read.


What are some of your favorite picture books? I'll be posting more reviews from time to time, feel free to make a request! 

No comments:

Post a Comment