Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Crabby Crab

I've always identified with my astrological sign, Cancer; intuitive, sensitive, creative, oh yeah, and moody. I like and enjoy being with people, but sometimes I need to hide in my shell and block it all out. It's a safe place, or at least it's supposed to be. This weekend, in the middle of a lovely gathering, I started feeling the need to retreat. I just wanted to get away, I didn't want to talk to anyone else, even though they were all friends and great people. I was just itching for solitude, for my cozy, safe, shell.

The next day it was like living in a fog. My energy was sucked completely dry. Just walking up and down the stairs made me exhausted. Everything around me seemed to scream how I was failing. The dishes in the sink confronted me; the pile of laundry accused me; the unchecked to-do list judged me. It was hard for me to think clearly or communicate, the only clear feeling was that of being overwhelmed. I don't know if any other crabs experience this, but I've learned that it's part of my nature and the way I deal with stress and emotions. My shell is not just a place of retreat, it's also the perfect little container for all of my worries, stresses, and anxieties. Because of this I often have a sort of double life. I present one face to the world, of being happy and upbeat, but really, all those negative feelings are just being hidden away. So when I go back to my shell, instead of a quiet, peaceful place for me to recharge, I am met with all of those things I was trying to get away from. I know from personal experience that the bottling up eventually overflows, and yet it's hard to break the habit. It's so ingrained that it's effortless, and most of the time I don't even know I'm doing it.

I have these days from time to time, but it's been awhile. It actually came as a bit of a shock, it was like my "old" self came knocking and said, "I'm still here, you can't get rid of me". It's easy to get a bit self-righteous when you are on the path of bettering yourself; practicing being mindful, doing things like yoga, meditation, and looking at the positives in life. It's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that you've mastered it. But life throws a curve ball just to make sure we don't get too arrogant. It's a good reminder that we are never done growing. That the "problems" in life don't go away, we just learn how to deal with them better. There are still things I have to work on in myself. There always will be.

That night before bed, even though the day was already over, I decided I had had enough. I laid down on my pillow and just focused on my breath. A simple two minute meditation. I looked over at my baby boy, Skylar, who was passed out next to me and it all started to melt away. I don't know of anything more peaceful or more joyful than a sleeping child!

God gives us lessons through our struggles, but he has also given us everything we need to overcome them.

I'm in the process of doing some spring cleaning inside my shell, and filling it up with the peace and love that I deserve. After all, the sun is in Cancer, it's my month!

4 comments:

  1. The fact that you enjoy people, but also sometimes feel the need to retreat into solitude even when you like the people, sounds similar to a characteristic of being an introvert, not merely a cancer sign. The fact that the next day you felt drained from the day before is a further sign of introversion. I am a Scorpio, and also understand the need to retreat, but I know it's also because I have strong introvert tendencies, (and there's nothing wrong with that). Introverts draw their energy from internal stimulation (through solitude, meditation, etc). Extroverts, on the other hand, draw their energy from external* stimulation (being with lots of friends, going to large gatherings). People with introvert tendencies have to be careful of doing too many (or too intense) things for long periods of time. Introverts need time to recharge. "The Introvert Advantage" is a book my friend gave me in college, and has really helped me understand my temperment better; I've learned to stop aplogizing for something I can't help. Here's a link to the author's site:

    http://hiddengiftsoftheintrovertedchild.com/about-the-author/the-introvert-advantage/

    Good luck on your quest for understanding yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmm, interesting. I have always thought of myself as an extrovert, and even the tests I've taken (Meyers Briggs, etc.) have confirmed it. But I'm beginning to think I'm more of an introvert than I thought. I guess we all have degrees of both. Maybe we even change and gravitate towards one or the other at different times in our lives. I can definitely relate to the idea of "drawing energy from internal stimulation". I really don't know if the party was what triggered it, or if the timing was just coincidence. For me, I think it's partly an issue of how I deal with my emotions. But I certainly do find that I am able to process and deal with things better when I have the space and quiet, and when I make time for things like meditation.

      Delete
  2. Funny, I was just experiencing the same thing today, how I thought I'd overcome certain tendencies and feelings only to have them come and take center stage. I felt defeated, then I read this and felt grateful :) As you said, "God gives us lessons through our struggles [because He loves us and believes in our potential] but he has also given us everything we need to overcome them." Thank you for sharing your heart so honestly and humbly, it helped me a lot today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad this helped you! Hope your day is getting better!

      Delete