Monday, July 16, 2012

Sacred Spaces


The family and I spent the weekend camping. but it's not just any camp. It's the place I have been spending summers since kindergarten. It's where I made lifelong friendships, and honed my life-guarding skills. It's where I first met my husband. Camp Sunrise, in Harrimin State Park, NY will always hold a special place in my heart.

I love camping in general, but there is a certain spirit there. Driving up the hill and walking along the paths, memories came trickling back like a cool summer rain. When I propped my feet up on the bed in our cabin, I felt my whole body melt into the ground, as if I had become part of the camp itself. It's not just a familiar place, it's a sacred place, a "home away from home."


We spend a lot of time in our heads, but there is something about being in a particular physical place that helps to slow down the thoughts and find peace. We all have these places. Maybe it's in nature, like at camp or at the ocean (another one of my sacred spots). Maybe it's a favorite cafe downtown. It could be as simple as your favorite comfy chair in your own house. Whatever it is, if you are feeling stressed, or overwhelmed, try changing your space and see if that doesn't help ease your mind. If nothing comes to mind, perhaps it's time to create a new sacred space!

Spiritual people spend lots of energy on the internal, which is good. But we are mind AND body. The two are completely intertwined. Just as our internal state manifests itself in the physical, our physical environment can have a profound effect on our spirit. What does your sacred space look like? How can we make our everyday environment more of a sacred space?




No comments:

Post a Comment