Friday, November 16, 2012

The Santa Card

It may not just be the commercialization of Christmas that keeps Santa alive. Just maybe, it's parents all over the world who realize that the threat of no toys on Christmas is an extremely effective behavior modification tool.

Just recently my husband played the Santa Card. My son is only four, and so previous to this, we had talked about Santa, but never in any serious way, he was just a fun character in the overall joyfulness of Christmas. But this time he is fully aware. As his dad explained that Santa would be watching and seeing if he's a good boy, I could see him take it all in. I didn't realize the power of it, until my usually rambunctious boy, without a word, calmly sat down at the table and ate his dinner like a little gentleman. I was beyond astonished. So, I wasn't sure about this at first...it seems like the easy way out. I have to admit though, the magic of it got me a couple of times, and I have since used it on a few occasions. I don't want to overdo it though, what if the magic runs out?! I have to milk this while I can!

And yet, I feel a little guilty. Am I setting him up for disappointment down the road?
That's another reason not to overdo it, I don't want it to be just a negative thing, the card that I pull out as a threat, I want to be able to emphasize the positive spirit of giving. I have always wanted to, when the kids are old enough, start a yearly tradition of having them donate some of their toys or clothes, or helping out with a food drive. Maybe this is the year.

Santa is watching...

1 comment: