Friday, December 7, 2012

Making the best with what you've got!

Is it just me, or does the cold weather make you want to curl up under a blanket, read a book, and fall asleep?

I wish I was an animal and could hibernate all through winter.

Alas, I must dig out my snow boots and scarves, and find some mis-matched gloves. It adds an extra ten minutes to my morning routine of getting out the door, which is golden time when you have too little kids in tow.

Here are some tips that have kept me warm, thrifty, and sane this holiday:

Tip 1: my old winter boots broke (the soles came off and let the water in! no good) so instead of buying new ones, I cut the sleeves off an old wool sweater, sewed up the ends, and made long socks to fit inside and insulate my rain boots, voila! instant all-weather boots. (Seriously, I don't sew. If I can do this, anyone can.)



Tip 2: If your kids knock down the Christmas tree (a plastic one that is) and one of the legs breaks off, just take the top of the tree and put it with the taped-up base on top of a table or bookshelf. Ours is happily resting on top of the TV Wardrobe, away from rambunctious boys. Bonus: presents and breakable ornaments are also out of reach!

Tip 3: I often give this as a gift at Christmas time, but it's fun to just make for myself too. Instead of buying Swiss Miss, I make my own Hot Chocolate mix out of evaporated milk, Cocoa powder, powdered creamer, confectioners sugar, and mini chocolate chips...yum! There are tons of recipes online, but these are the basic ingredients, and the ratios often depend on your taste. You can mix it up by adding flavored creamer, or cinnamon, marshmallows, peppermint sticks...the possibilities are endless! (Tip: for extra chocolaty-ness add in a package of instant chocolate jello pudding. You're welcome.)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/hot-cocoa-mix/

What are some of your best tips for getting through the season?

No comments:

Post a Comment