Monday, December 24, 2012

oh you shouldn't have...

Christmas movies, cutting down a tree, opening presents in pajamas, and a quiet dinner with family. These are the things that make up my family Christmas traditions growing up. I love Christmas, I enjoy the time of year when people stress the importance of giving and being kind to one another, being grateful for what you have, and the joy of looking forward to new things as well, both literally and figuratively as you head towards the new year.

Here's one of my favorite family traditions. Every morning on Christmas, after we've rummaged through our stockings, and had a nice big home-made breakfast, we would gather in the living room and my sister and I would play "elves". We would gather the gifts from under the tree and hand one to each person so that we could all open them together. After each round, my sister and I would still have plenty of gifts, and my dad was always the first one without anything to open. But to his and our delight, my mother would gasp in surprise as my sister and I would find yet another little present under the tree that said, "To: Sally" from "Rob".

Without fail, this happens EVERY year. My dad always buys a bunch of presents for my mom, and she always acts surprised. My sister and I would roll our eyes every year as she would exclaim, "what? another one? for me?!" and we would smile and laugh when she would say, "oh you shouldn't have!" Because of course he should have.

My family is spending Christmas with my grandmother in Indiana this year so I won't get to watch the whole spectacle, but I trust that Dad won't let us down.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment